Table of Contents
If you have thyroid disease- hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism- managing your disease can feel like a full-time job. Along with monitoring your symptoms and eating a healthy diet, you may also need to take medication on a regular basis.
While these medications aren’t the same as those used to treat other medical conditions, they are still important in helping people manage their thyroid issues. These drugs help balance hormone levels and keep each individual’s condition in check.
If you have been recently diagnosed with either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, it is important for you to understand the various types of medication that can be used to treat these conditions. The following information will provide an overview of the basic facts about these medications:
What Are the Medications Used to Treat Thyroid Disease?
There are several medications that can be used to treat hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. The type of medication that you are prescribed will depend on the severity of your condition and the type of thyroid disorder that you have.
Some of the most common medications include the following: –
- Beta blockers: These medications are often prescribed for individuals who have hyperthyroidism. They help to control the speed of your heart rate and blood pressure.
- Calcium carbonate and calcium citrate: People who have hypothyroidism are often prescribed calcium supplements. Calcium is important for the normal function of your body’s nerves, muscles, and other organs. These supplements help to replace the calcium your body may be missing due to your thyroid condition.
- Levothyroxine (LT4): This type of medication is used to treat both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. It is a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4). It helps to restore normal hormone levels in the body, while also reducing the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
- Methyltetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) enzyme: This enzyme helps the body to create a necessary form of folic acid. It is important to take folic acid when you are taking certain medications to treat hyperthyroidism.
- Propylthiouracil (PTU): This type of medication is used to treat hyperthyroidism. It works by decreasing the amount of thyroid hormone that your body produces.
- Tapazole: These medications are synthetic forms of methioxtriphyline, which is found in natural herbs. They can be used to treat hyperthyroidism.
- T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (tetraiodothyronine) isomers: These medications are synthetic forms of T3 and T4. They are used in the treatment of hyperthyroidism.
Useful resource- Drugs.com
Betablockers are often prescribed for individuals who have hyperthyroidism. They help to slow down the heart rate and reduce blood pressure. They are usually taken as either a pill or an injection. Some of the most common types of beta blockers include propranolol, atenolol, and nadolol
This is one of the most common medications used to treat hypothyroidism. It is a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4). It helps to restore normal hormone levels in the body and reduce the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.
These medications are synthetic forms of methioxtriphyline, also known as methimazole, which is found in herbs. They can be used to treat hyperthyroidism.
Tapazole is a medication used to treat hyperthyroidism, a condition characterized by an overactive thyroid gland. The dosage and duration of treatment will vary depending on the individual and their specific condition.
Common side effects of Tapazole include mild nausea, upset stomach, and skin rash. It is important to consult a healthcare professional for proper guidance and to discuss any concerns or potential side effects.
Carbimazole (CMZ) and Methyltetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) Enzyme
These medications are used to treat hyperthyroidism. They help to block the production of thyroid hormones and reduce symptoms.
This type of medication is used to treat hyperthyroidism. It works by lowering the amount of thyroid hormone that your body produces.
T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (tetraiodothyronine) Isomers
These medications are synthetic forms of T3 and T4. They are used in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
Drugs for the treatment of thyroid diseases are necessary and beneficial for patients. However, all patients with these diseases should consult with their doctors before taking any medication.
You should be aware of the various types of medication that can be used to treat hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and their possible side effects.
With proper monitoring and treatment, you can successfully manage your thyroid disease and lead a healthy life.