What does a kidney look like in real life?
The Anatomy of Kidney
Kidneys are two bean-shaped organs situated in the abdomen on either side of your vertebral column. Have a look at the picture below-
The different parts of a kidney-
If the kidney is cut into 2 halves vertically, you shall see this picture-the anatomy of the kidney-
As you can see, the picture on your left shows the different parts of kidney, namely-
- Renal Cortex– forming the outer crust of the kidney
- Renal Medulla– forming the inner major part of the filtration system
- Minor Calyx– the part where filtered urine is collected from different nephrons
- Major Calyx– the part where all minor calyxes from the medulla open into
- Renal artery– the blood vessel that brings blood to the kidneys
- Renal Vein– the blood vessel that takes away the filtered blood from the kidneys
- Renal Pelvis– the part where all the major calyxes pour the urine collected into; and
- The Ureter-the tube which transports the urine to the urinary bladder.